Thursday, July 14, 2011

Intuitive Eating Nutrition Class

This week in our nutrition class we talked about intuitive eating, which is a nondiet mentality.  You eat what you want, but you need to really listen to your body's natural hunger fullness scale.  This concept is very foreign to me because I'm so used to eating based on a diet mentality.  My whole life I've been used to being restricted to certain foods, which is probably why I've failed to maintain any kind of weight loss.

Our instructor clearly explained the Dieter's Cycle:
  • Desire to be thin
  • Go on diet
  • Cravings pop up and you have reduced self-control
  • Loss of self-control, over eat
  • Weight gain or regain occurs
She hit the nail on the head with this explanation.  This is the story of my life.  I'd like to break this cycle.  I really like the concept of intuitive eating .  I want to implement it in my life and to change my psyche; but I'm really afraid I won't be able to change the "food policing", which is ever present inside my mind.

2 comments:

  1. So, what was the instructors recommendations for not losing control--for keeping focused with your eye on the prize? I ask cause I think the same principles can be applied to just about any situation where a habit is dragging you down. And I'm still looking for something that works for me! :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Maynard! I don't know if the instructor ever said what the recommendation for not losing self-control was, but we did talk about walking away from the table for at least 15 minutes to see how we felt. Were we truly "still starving" or were we just emotionally eating? Another person recommended chewing a stick of gum and taking a walk. The main concept was to really listen to what your body via your stomach is telling you. Most of us eat too fast, and it takes our stomach at least 15 minutes to send us an "I'm all full" message. We're already stuffed/uncomfortable by the time we understand we are full. There's a recommended book on intuitive eating I'm thinking about getting. I'll get you the title if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete